Monday, January 21, 2008

Disappearing into Thailand

For the first time in over two years, I have just spent two weeks where I have no daily internet or phone service. Admittedly hard for an information junkie like myself, but it's gotten easier as I let my addiction go and take "one day at a time". Online Anonymous?? Top this with basically only having Steve Lynch to talk to for two weeks (no other travelers want to be our friends or talk to us - can't figure out if everyone's all in luuuuuv, or if they are all icky Germans who are freaked out by an interracial couple. I never even considered this to be a possibility until SL pointed it out. Who knows?) and so yeah, I had a couple minor anxiety attacks where I had to go pace up and down the beach for an hour like a caged animal. Shades of my father not sleeping for nights at a time rear their ugly head. I'm getting better. And it's good for me, I know, to let all the day-to-day go while also finally allowing myself to get closer to someone I totally dig.

As time passes here and we enter the second full week of the daily schedule of eat/sleep/beach/read/play in sacred waterfall (in no particular order), I feel the tension of the past two years draining out of my body, and a permanant smile plus true inner strength coming back to me. It's a blessing to have the time to do this, and each additional day here I realize how incredibly fortunate I am.

That said, think we'll have to leave Thaan Sadet next weekend and possibly head to some place on Ko Samui where I can take my spazziness and channel it into 4 days of windsurfing lessons before heading back to Bangkok on the 31st.

(Seriously, though: are there ANY Germans left in their country? Who is running that place? And what's with the nuthugger bathing suits all up in my face all the time??)

1 comment:

Angelissima said...

Germans are travelers on steroids. Any great beach in the world is overrun by Germans.

Don't take it personally. They are not friendly people. Aloof fits.

Interracial couples are much more accepted world over I believe.