Saturday, March 11, 2006

Detox 101

Today I started this detox diet plan, where I don't eat bread/wheat, dairy, eggs, meat, sugars, yeast, processed food of any kind or alcohol. This is harder than I thought it would be, seeing as how I live on cheese and bread much of the time. I seriously don't think I've ever gone a week without cheese - and I mean, in my whole life. Dairy is the really hard one for me to cut out. But I've been feeling sluggish and my body is just "off" so I figured I'd give this a try for as long as I can. I'm off to San Francisco for 10 days next Saturday, and that will have to be when the detox ends - there's lots of socializing to be done while there, plus too much good food to be on a restricted diet.

There's lots of stuff to read on the inter-web about doing a detox, and opinions really vary as to whether or not this does any good for a body. I tend to think that if you eat healthy most of the time, you are fine anyway, but it also sure can't hurt to try it for a week and see what happens.

What I can have is nuts, all kinds of veggies, brown rice, lentils, tofu, seeds, beans, fruits, herbal and green teas, and loads of water. Of course, fruit has lots of sugar, but there's really no way I could do this without fruit. I'm taking Vitamin C and Milk Thistle to stimulate the cleansing process. Basically, I'll be laying around the house this weekend feeling light-headed and a bit tired, but totally self-righteous while planning my next exciting meal of nothing. We'll see how I feel in a couple days. My stomach's rumbling.

No comments: