Friday, April 22, 2005

Eatin' Out - Next Door Nobu

Corner of Franklin and Hudson

Since this restaurant opened six years ago, as a "no reservations accepted"alternative to the schmancy big-time Nobu, I've been wanting to go. So when Mr. Cranky suggested one Saturday night "Let's go. I'll pay", you never saw me drive into the city faster, trying to get there before the wait become interminable. No luck - by the time we arrived at 7:30, the wait was already up to an hour and a half. I can honestly say: the wait is worth it.

I don't need to be the 200th person to rave about the Black Cod with Miso sauce, although it derves every single bit of praise. Slighly crisp on the outside, perfectly moist on the insideand bathed in a miso sauce with a perfect touch of sweetness, this is a dish I'll crave at unopportune and cash-poor times. We were seated at the sushi bar, and the service was spotty at times, but no matter. I wish I could eat this way everynight. The shrimp tempure in spicy creamy sauce was promptly added to a perfect trifecta of fried asian foods in my brain that include New Pasteur's salt & peppersquid, and Noodletown's salt-baked softshell crab.

No comments: