Saturday, December 30, 2006

Top Ten of 2006

As per Rrthur's request, herewith in no particular order the albums I listened to the most in 2006. Best? Maybe not, but here's what stuck in my craw. Anyone else out there care to pass on their favorites? (yeah, I'm looking at YOU Xmastime/Tim/Roger/Pat!)

1. Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America
2. Roseanne Cash - Black Cadillac
3. Archie Bronson Outfit - Derdang Derdang
4. Priestess - Hello Master
5. Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers
6. Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat
7. Cat Power - The Greatest
8. Oakley Hall - Second Guessing
9. Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood
10. Ryan Adams and the Cardinals - Cold Roses (2005)
Late adds:
11. Twilight Singers - Powder Burns
12. Beth Orton - Comfort of Strangers

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alright, I'll prob get abused for this, but ya gotta give the who's record a few spins. I swear to god it doesn't suck. I really like it. Was very pleasantly surprised that for once my childhood heroes didn't let me down.

Also Ollie Byrd's and Amanda Jo William's records on my li'l label (www.stereotyperecords.com). Hold Steady and TV on the Radio and Neko Case def on my lists too.

SKL said...

DBT would probably make it, but I didn't get it until yesterday. Ditto for newest Malcolm Holcombe...and PJG, i'd like to point out that Rrthur owns his own label, but did not include a single release from R2R on his list!! ha!

Unknown said...

Since I've been called out, I'll throw down with the following in no particular order :

DBT-Blessing & a Curse
Gibson Brothers-Red Letter Day
Alecia Nugent-Little Girl, A Big Four Lane
Willie Nelson-Songbird
Lemonheads-Lemonheads
Jurassic 5
Deadstring Brothers-Starving Winter Report
Frog Holler-Haywire
Chatham County Line-Speed of the Whipporwill
Old Crow Medicine Show-Big Iron World
Scott Miller & Commonwealth-Citation
Calexico-Garden Ruin
Chris Knight-Enough Rope
Raconteurs-Broken Boy Soldiers

BayonneMike said...

Here are mine:

Los Lobos/The Town and The City
Tom Waits/Orphans (mainly for the Brawlers and the Bawlers)
Arctic Monkeys/Whatever People Say I Am...
Bonnie "Prince" Billy/The Letting Go
Sparklehorse/Dreamt for Light Years...
M. Ward/Post-War
Cat Power/The Greatest
Beck/The Information
Yo La Tengo/I'm Not Afraid of You...
Bob Dylan/Modern Times

Xmastime said...

I'm embarrassed to say, I don't think I bought one new album this year. Well, or any year since 1987. Though my singles would be Gnarls' "Crazy" and Shooter Jennings' "4th of July"...and that might've been 2005. Hmm. Not in love with the Hold Steady cuts I did hear, either.