Thursday, April 10, 2008

Derby 2008

I've been a little quiet on this year's Derby Preps because no one horse is knocking me out. I generally pick one of my favorites from the local Wood, which was run last Saturday at Aqueduct. While it was a gorgeous day at the track with SL and 3 newbies (two of whom, in accordance with the racing gods plans to make all people racing fans, went home winners while i was down $80 for the day), the only reason Tale of Ekati won was because no one else did. It was a S-L-O-W of pace as can be (slowest Wood since 1952) with no real standout.

I'm still leaning a bit towards Court Vision, who closed decently to come in third in the Wood. He could either do well in Derby with the extra furlong, or completely suck it up. (Insightful, I know) Colonel John, coming out of the Santa Anita Derby, looks damn good with a his powerful closing kick, and a few more (Pyro, Blackberry Road, Gayego) will shake out of the Blue Grass Stakes and Arkansas Derby this weekend.

SL and I are going to Ohio next week for six days, and will also catch some racing down at Keenland in Lexington with my family on the 19th -- the date of the Coolmore Lexington Stakes, where some late Derby contenders often run. Kentucky this time of year is absolutely beautiful, so racing or no, I am looking forward to everything being in bloom in the midwest.

Three and a half weeks until Derby. Invites coming shortly.

No comments: