Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Derby Trail

The first big race of the three-year-old 2007 season was run at Gulfstream on Saturday, with Todd Pletcher's Scat Daddy taking the field by a nose in the Grade 2 Fountain of Youth over the favored Nobiz Like Showbiz.

It's a total crap shoot this time of year, with favorites coming and going weekly, injuries knocking out these babies instantly, and one bad performance relegating the colts down to the lower ranks of racing instead continuing on in their pursuit of a win on the first Saturday in May.

Predictions are tough at this point, but I currently like Circular Quay, Any Given Saturday, and Summer Doldrums. I always count on my goto squad in the trainer/jockey combination of Pletcher/Velazquez for winners. In fact, they are the only preseason lock-ins in my Derby Fantasy stable, The Newtown Creek Stables. PS: I came in about 9,032nd last year in this online competition.

No comments: