Monday, March 17, 2008

10 Years On

Until last year on Retotted's 40th, I hadn't acknowledged St Patrick's Day for 9 years in any way, shape or form. It was in 1998 that one of my very best friends, Craig Falbe, was killed in a car accident on the night of March 17th on his way to SXSW after a show in Dallas, Texas. Serving as tour manager for Pat's band, another still very close friend (I actually introduced them), they were hit by a third-time DUI offender who blasted through a red light, smashed into their van and killed Craig on impact. While Pat, the driver, emerged physically unscathed, he was dealt a hand of emotional trauma I can't even imagine shouldering. It's taken a long, long time to get beyond the horror and shock of that single life-changing moment.

Ten years on, I still miss Craig, his wisdom, his humor, and wonder where he would be in his life now.

I realize I've been blogging all about pain, injuries and death as of late, but such is the fabric of life. And I will always be melancholy on St Patrick's Day.

No comments: